Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Successful Night Out

Last night I went to a party at the Adrianna Ballroom in Portland, OR. As soon as I got my tickets, I was concerned about the dinner menu. So I e-mailed one of the party organizers, who put me in touch with the staff at the ballroom. I was very polite and simply asked if there would be any gluten-free food, or if I should simply eat ahead of time and skip the dinner. They were courteous and sent me the dinner menu right away. I decided that the salad and the beef would probably be ok to eat, so I e-mailed them again just to be sure the beef didn’t have any hidden gluten in a seasoning or marinade. They were very nice and promptly sent me the ingredients, which were fine.

When I got there, I was a little nervous, because we arrived late and everyone had already been through the buffet. I was worried that they had mixed the utensils and cross-contaminated. However, despite the mess on the buffet tables from sloppy serving, the salad was at the very beginning (with separate optional dressings…very nice!) and the beef was at the very end on its own table because it was being sliced by the kitchen staff.

The dinner was amazing and I brought my own cookies in my purse for dessert, so I didn’t feel like I missed out on anything. My first gluten-free dinner out was a success. I did not get sick or sleepy from the food at all. We had a lovely time!

No comments:

Post a Comment